Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pray Before You Drive... "God Has Angels Watching Over Me"

We wanted to ensure that our son learned safe habits of driving, and enrolled him in driver’s education at sixteen. However, the most important lesson, as a parent, that I wanted to instil was to “pray before you drive”.

There is no doubt of the power contained within those prayers, each uttered with purpose behind the wheel as we leave our driveway or from our point of return. They have spared us from death on more than one occasion. A fact that I was reminded of, on more than occasion, in the last couple weeks.

Two weeks ago, the very van that I wrote about in the entry entitled “Consider It Paid In Full” was the victim of a “hit-and run” incident. The first thing that came to my mind, was that in my busyness, I had forgotten to pray for my husband before he left the driveway.

After finding out that he was not hurt or in the vehicle at the time, I tenderly questioned him, “You forgot to pray too, didn’t you?” Apparently, he had done just that very thing, in his own haste to run some quick errands.

On three other occasions, one or the other of us forgot, and every single incident ended up with a detrimental outcome to our vehicles, as well.

This morning, since I forgot to pray, I was once again thankful for His unseen covering, as my car escaped from being broadsided at a main intercession. The driver hadn’t even looked to the right to see if anyone was coming. I heard the “gasp” as it exited my lips with a suck of air... and I continued completing the turn.

Many a time, we have heard the shriek of "God" or "Jesus, help me" cried out as something has almost destined to take us to the pearly gates, but this time there was no chance to even squeal such a response!

Quite often, after one of those “close calls” you will sometimes catch yourself shaking a bit. As I exhaled, I was pleasantly surprised to note, there was no after-effect from the near-miss.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear,
but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
(2 Timothy 1:7)

His declaration that He shall watch over His children is also given in several places.

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.”
(Isa 43:2 NIV)

“Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honour him.”
(Ps 91:14-15 NIV)

I am comforted and reminded of His faithfulness to watch over His children at all times, every time we get behind the wheel, and the rule in our family continues to remain, “Pray before you drive!”

Some of the words from the song “Angels”, that Amy Grant made famous, came flooding back to my mind as I continued on my journey this morning...

“...God only knows the times my life was threatened just today.
A reckless car ran out of gas before it ran my way.
Near misses all around me, accidents unknown,
Though I never see with human eyes the hands that lead me home.
But I know they’re all around me all day and through the night.
When the enemy is closing in, I know sometimes they fight
To keep my fight from falling, I’ll never turn away.
If you’re asking what’s protecting me then you’re gonna hear me say:

God has angels watching over me, every move I make,
Angles watching over me!
Angels watching over me, every step I take,
Angels watching over me........

Though I never see with human eyes the hands that lead me home....”

No comments: