Tuesday, May 5, 2009

When Life Is A Rollercoaster

Do you feel like life had just gotten so busy, that it is all just one big rollercoaster ride?

Today, I realized that in spite of my attempts to keep it all in perspective and keep it in balance, I am just simply... still way too busy.

I noticed I haven't kept up my posts here due to the business of ministry and school, and my artwork has been almost non-existent for the last six months... and well, let's face it.... all work and no play makes me a very dull girl! (Lol)

Responsibilities never go away. They are just the things that make life... life. And life needs to be taken seriously on so many levels.

We have all those sensory responses to the things that go on around us, and we can get caught up in the loops and movement they carry us on. Sometimes we feel like we are about to swing way out there on one last corner and we are just going to keep on going! ...Which is usually about the time that we actually start praying we can just stay “on track”.

"When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who know my way." (Ps 142:3, NIV)

Every inspiring writer is told to “write about what you know”. In which case, I should not be writing this... Busyness is what I know. Chronic illness is what I know. Forcible disorganization is what I know. How they both can take their toll on your surroundings, in body, soul, spirit, will, and emotions... that is what I know.

Mastering the art of organization and keeping it all together? Well that is where I am still recovering and continually journeying! So, in spite of it all, guess who wound up writing a magazine column on organization for the past year?

Of all people... sigh.

Let's face it. God has one wild sense of humour. I thought my closest friends would have a major laughing fit when they heard the news, but much to my shock it wound up evoking exactly the opposite reaction!

"If anyone should be writing that column, it should be you!”

“You have so much on your plate and you are soooo busy, we are amazed at how you get all the things done that you do!”

“I would love to know how you do it! I can’t get half of things you do, done!"

Believe it or not... I was speechless.

The column wound up also being a very popular one.... but three guesses... I got so busy, I just couldn't continue to write it with my present schedule. (I know there is a lesson in here somewhere...giggle.)

The bottom line? He gives us all the gift of 24 hours a day. What we choose do with them and how much we get accomplished, depends on both the free-will choices that He allows us to make... and our circumstances of daily living.

"The LORD will guide you always….You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." (Isa 58:11, NIV)

We simply need to learn to ask... and then listen.

We need to choose to let Him show us how to order our days. We all desire to find more time for our dreams, destinies, purposes, family and Him, but determining the actual "needs", "wants", and the "necessary are essential to do that. It also helps to keep it all from getting out of control!

It is very true that life these days is a topsy-turvy balancing act for most people, and there are those who struggle with physical limitations and life circumstances. So no, there is not a clear, one-way-only, cut-and-dried solution. That is why it is so important for us to make prayer at the start of our day a priority!

"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Prov 3:6, KJV)

So, now after getting "off-track" and allowing myself to get talked into another rollercoaster ride, (and post a wonderful vacation away from the busyness and business of life and ministry), I am determined to get everything back "on track"... by letting Him take over my days and my schedule...

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way." (Ps 37:2, NKJV)

I can work with Him, or I can work against Him.

Written goals and a hugging of my dayplanner, along side of the "to do lists" will ensure that I keep the reality of life there, but prayer for His "ordering" of my steps daily will ensure that I actually do it His way.

"You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy." (Ps 16:11, NKJ)

Besides... doing His Way is always a whole lot more fun anyway!

No comments: